Osmer C. Fitts opened a law firm in Brattleboro in the 1940's when he returned to Vermont from military service in Europe. Mr. Fitts had a strong commitment to the training of Vermont lawyers and many prominent lawyers in Windham County and the state count a clerkship or association with him as an important credential. In 1955 Mr. Fitts formed the partnership Fitts & Olson with Paul N. Olson, who had been associated with Mr. Fitts since 1948.
The late Paul N. Olson was known throughout New England as the referral on tax and estate planning, a practice area for which the firm continues to be recognized. His interests in music and in education led to his lifetime support of the Putney School, the Brattleboro Music Center, the Marlboro Music Festival and Marlboro College.
Jean Brewster Giddings joined the firm in 1978. Ms. Giddings continues the Fitts & Olson traditions of maintaining an exemplary legal firm, participation in a variety of community service activities, and providing mentoring and training for attorneys entering the field. Ms. Giddings has served on a variety of professional and community boards over the decades of her being a member of the firm.
Fitts & Olson is the oldest continuously operating law association in the Brattleboro area. Fitts, Olson and Giddings is proud to have provided a firm basis in the law to many of the area's leading attorneys. The firm has been located in its historic building at 16 High Street in downtown Brattleboro since the 1950's. Over the years the firm has represented more than 25,000 individuals, businesses, and nonprofit organizations.